Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Terence Monument (Terence, RM of Whitehead)

Named by a railway worker for Irish activist Terence McSwiney (1879-1920), the community of Terence was established in 1906 as a stop on the Cromer Subdivision of the Great Northern Railway (later, Canadian National Railway) near this site in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead. Terence consisted of a station and section house (1908-1955), store with post office (1910-1957), grain elevator (1917-1954), church (1919-1953), blacksmith shop (1932-1942), and beef ring (to 1940). Its last vestiges were gone by 1957. A commemorative monument was erected to mark the location.

Terence commemorative monument

Terence commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.74670, W100.34876
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Geographical Names of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Manitoba Conservation, c2000.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 31 March 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.