Historic Sites of Manitoba: Telegram Building (70 Albert Street, Winnipeg)
Built on Albert Street in 1882, as a dry goods warehouse for merchant R. J. Whitla, the offices of the Winnipeg Telegram newspaper were located here from 1899 to 1920. The building is late-Victorian in style with rich brick ornamentation and internal cast iron columns. A plaque is mounted on the east side of the building, near one commemorating Newspaper Row. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Telegram Building (70 Albert Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, March 1980.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 January 2020
Back to top of page