Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tanner School No. 1049 (Municipality of Gilbert Plains)

The Tanner School District was organized formally in February 1900 and a one-room wood frame school building was erected on the southwest quarter of 6-24-21 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Municipality of Gilbert Plains, on land donated by William Doak. The school was named for James Tanner, first Secretary-Treasurer of the school.

With growing enrollment, in 1930 a second school building was erected nearby using volunteer labour. One building held classes in grades 1 to 6, and the other held classes in grades 7 to 11. This continued until 1947 when the original school was destroyed by fire. All classes continued henceforth in the newer school building. The school district was dissolved in 1967 and the remaining students went to Brickburn Consolidated School. The “early grades” building was moved to NE30-23-21W where, as of 2013, it still stands. A brick monument at the original site commemorates the school.

Among the teachers of Tanner School was John L. Wright (1938-1940).

Tanner School for grades 1 to 6

Tanner School for grades 1 to 6 (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 47.

Tanner School for grades 7 to 11

Tanner School for grades 7 to 11 (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 47.

Tanner School commemorative monument

Tanner School commemorative monument (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

The “early grades” Tanner School building, now at N51.01967, W100.39363

The “early grades” Tanner School building, now at N51.01967, W100.39363 (July 2013)
Source: Alan Mason

Site Location (lat/long): N51.03723, W100.40756
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

We thank Keven Van Camp for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 14 March 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.