In 1889, the first Slavic settlers arrived at this site in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park from the railhead at Strathclair. During the first pioneer decade, families lived in “buddas” made of tree trunks, branches, sod, and native hay while their homesteads were being identified. In 1978, two authentic buddas at this site were reconstructed by Michael Swistun with assistance of the Parkland Ukrainian Pioneer Association. The Association also erected a stone monument commemorating the history of the area.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba
The Strongest Man in the World by Norm Fear
Manitoba History, Number 3, 1982
Memorable Manitobans: Michael “Mike” Swistun (1901-1980)
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 November 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.