Historic Sites of Manitoba: Swan Creek School No. 743 (RM of Coldwell)
The Swan Creek School District was established in June 1893 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE16-20-5W in the Rural Municipality of Coldwell. The original building, made of logs, was replaced in 1907 by a wood frame structure. The school closed in 1959 and students from this area were bused to Lundar. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Swan Creek School through the years were: Miss S. Lundy, Guttormur Guttormson, W. H. Eccles, Salome Halldorson, Emma Sigurdson, Stefan Guttormson, B. Stefanson, Claudie Law, Arni Stefanson, Mundi Gudmundson, Thorstina Jackson, K. J. Austman, Jean Jefferson, H. Bragg, Ida Funnell, May Helga Anderson, Viola Shefer, C. Thompson, Mrs. S. H. Hackland, A. Brynjolfson, Grace Reykdal, Amelia Windross, Miss Loney, Katherine S. Thomason (Kaye Breckman), Henry Grenon, Rosa Johnson, Nellie K. Popkis, Mrs. S. A. Conner, Judith Le Bedorwick, Mrs. Marion G. Murray, V. Emil Gudmundson, Susie S. Einarson (Mrs. Einar Johnson), Margaret Jean Famuliner, D. K. Kerr-Wilson, Mrs. R. A. Baydock, Miss J. Kieshka, Chrissie Thorsteinson, Gerry Roy, K. F. Sigurdson, Dorothy Danielson (Mrs. John Breckman), and Marceta Freund.
Lundar topographic map, 62J/9, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Wagons to Wings: History of Lundar and Districts, 1872-1980 by Lundar and District Historical Society, c1980.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 April 2014
Back to top of page