Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cosmopolitan Hotel / Palace Hotel / Sutherland Hotel (785 Main Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick structure on Main Street in Winnipeg was opened in December 1882, one of the first major buildings north of the Canadian Pacific Railway tracks, by hoteliers J. J. Gavin and R. J. Swayze. Named the Cosmopolitan Hotel, the hotel was leased to Joseph Bernhart in 1883. He purchased it in 1899 then sold it in 1902. Subsequent operators included Mr. Howard (1902-1903), Frank L. Curry (1904-1906), Charles F. Bunnell (1907-1908), and W. W. Whaley (1909). Renamed the Palace Hotel in 1903 and Sutherland Hotel in late 1907, a one-storey brick addition at the rear was made in 1913, designed by local architect Frank R. Evans and built by contractor William Horner. A metal cornice along the top of the structure was removed sometime after 1978.
Among the proprietors of the Sutherland Hotel was Dmytro George “Daniel” Wawrykow (1941-1960).
“City and province,” Manitoba Free Press, 26 December 1882, page 8.
“Main Street,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 December 1882, page 3.
Sutherland (Cosmopolitan) Hotel, 785 Main Street by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2009.Error processing SSI file
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Murray Peterson, and George Penner.
Page revised: 22 April 2023