Historic Sites of Manitoba: Summerville Curling Rink (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
This small, wooden building in the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford, constructed in 1928 by volunteer labour and funds on land provided by the Muirhead family, was home to a one-sheet curling rink of the Summerville Curling Club. The first curling at Summerville occurred in 1910 and the Club was formally constituted in 1911, becoming a member of the Manitoba Curling Association that year. The Club bought a full set of curling rocks at $17 per pair. In 1936, local women organized a Summerville Ladies’ Curling Club with sixteen members and mixed bonspiels were held frequently.
The building was last used for curling in 1947 although the attached waiting room was used for Sunday School classes of the nearby Summerville United Church into the 1960s. To convert the former rink into a granary, the owners added a concrete floor, metal reinforcing rods across the width, and portals for adding and removing grain. The building has not been used for some time and is in poor condition. The original Summerville curling rocks are displayed at the Carberry Curling Rink.
Carberry Plains Century One 1882-1982, pages 199-200.
We thank Robert Smith, Alex Christison, and Arla Shamansky for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 April 2020
Back to top of page