Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sulphur Creek School No. 927 (Municipality of Gilbert Plains)

The Sulphur Creek School District was organized formally in January 1898. Originally, classes were held in a log building on the east part of 24-26-23 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Gilbert Plains. In 1910, a wood frame structure was erected at this site. It closed in 1967 and the remaining students went to Brickburn Consolidated School No. 998. The former school building is no longer present at the site but a monument unveiled on 17 July 1994 commemorates it.

Among the teachers who worked at Sulphur Creek School were Maggie Kidd (1898), Mrs. J. B. Parker (1899), Ellie Martin (1899), E. L. Arnett, and Evelyn Arnett.

Sulphur Creek School

Sulphur Creek School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 24.

Sulphur Creek School commemorative monument

Sulphur Creek School commemorative monument (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.26029, W100.55482
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1994-1995, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 43.

Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.

We thank James Arnett and Ed Arndt for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 30 December 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.