This brick home was built in 1904 by James Stuart, first Manager of the Selkirk Electric Light Company, for his son Robert Stuart, the company’s first engineer. The red brick for the house was manufactured at James Stuart’s brick plant near La Riviere. The 2½-storey house is of brick masonry with a poured concrete foundation. It is distinguished by decorative brick belts, details on the open verandah and arch windows. Window and door frames are original and it is the only house in Selkirk with a back (or servant’s) stairway.
Currently owned by the City of Selkirk, the house’s exterior was restored with assistance of the Manitoba government. It received municipal heritage designation in 1997.
Memorable Manitobans: James Stuart (1853-1925)
Historical Tour: Selkirk, Manitoba by Wendy G. Smulan
Manitoba History, Number 34, Autumn 1997
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Stuart House, 478 Eveline Street, Selkirk, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Rose Kuzina and Oksana Preachuk and Jaydi Overwater (City of Selkirk, Culture Recreation & Green Transportation Department) for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 August 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.