Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Paul’s Lutheran Cemetery Brokenhead (RM of Brokenhead)
The St. Paul’s Lutheran Church Brokenhead in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead was formed in 1936 in the home of Wilhelm Fiebelkorn at SE3-15-8E where the first church services were held. The first elders of the church were Albert Beyer, Gottlieb Fiebelkorn, Charlie Fiebelkorn, and Wilhelm Fiebelkorn. In 1938, Adolf Fiebelkorn donated two acres of land to the church, and construction started on the St. Paul’s Lutheran Church. The church was completed in 1940 and it operated until 1965. The church building was sold to a local landowner who moved it to his property for use as a workshop.
A committee of three local residents serve as caretakers of the cemetery. They arrange an annual cemetery service on the third Sunday in August. Inquiries to the committee can be made via the Sobering Funeral Chapel and Crematorium in Beausejour.
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
And They Built an Altar: The History and Heritage of the Brokenhead Lutheran Community by the Brokenhead Lutheran Historical Society, 1983, pages 27, 206-208.
St Paul’s Lutheran Cemetery - Green Bay MB, Waymarking.
We thank Peter McLure, Angela Fiebelkorn, and Doreen Endler for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 October 2021