Historic Sites of Manitoba: Story Block (Fourth Street, Wawanesa, Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)

This massive two-storey brick building on Fourth Street in Wawanesa was built in 1898 by merchant John J. Story. He operated a general store in it until 1903 when the business was sold to the Weir Brothers. It went through a succession of operators, including Calder & Foster (1906 to 1908), Beeman & Thornber (1908 to 1915), J. J. Story (1915 to 1922), George Harrison (1922 to 1961), Bill Bayak (1961 to 1971), and Joe Metz (1971 to ?).

Story Block at right

Story Block at right (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba (MHS 1979 Photo Exhibit)

Story Block

Story Block (June 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Story Block

Story Block (May 2021)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.59510, W99.68459
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: John James Story (1857-1930)


Sipiweske, Light Through the Trees: 100 Years of Wawanesa and District, Wawanesa & District History Book Committee, 1988.

We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 8 August 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!