Historic Sites of Manitoba: Stony Hill School No. 1410 (RM of Whitemouth)
The Stony Hill School District was established formally in April 1907, and a school building was erected in the northwest corner of 25-10-11 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Whitemouth. The school closed in 1968 and the district was dissolved, its area becoming part of the Agassiz School Division. The building and teacherage were renovated into private residences which remain at the site.
Among the teachers of Stony Hill School through the years were Theodore Kochan (1909), J. Bielinski (1911), S. P. Basarobwicz (1915), J. A. McDaniels (1920), Laura A. Strong (1925), J. W. Chinchak (1930), Ernest Nakka (1932-1937), J. Zurbyk (1945), Pat Thompson (1949), Olive M. Parks (1955), Mrs. J. Parisian (1959), Peter D. Matthies (1959), Lloyd Klaprat (1965), and Fred A. Peters (1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails to Rails to Highways edited by Bob Porth and Craig MacKenzie, Whitemouth Municipal Museum Society, 1979.
We thank Ken Jacobs for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Robert Porth and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 April 2019
Back to top of page