Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Maurice School (1639 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg)
The history of the school goes back to 1861, with the present structure being the fifth. Earlier schools were taught by nuns from St. Boniface. Construction on the present school, designed by local architect Roy Sellors, began in 1958 and was dedicated to Martyr St. Maurice on 22 September 1958, in honour of Maurice Alonzo Cournoyer, the Reverend Father of the St. Vital parish in Fort Garry.
The private parochial four-room school was opened officially on 28 September 1958 by Archbishop Philip F. Pocock in partnership with the Sisters of Sion and was located on the grounds of the St. Vital Roman Catholic Church in Fort Garry, at the southwest corner of Pembina Highway and Manahan Avenue. It remained active until 1970 when low attendance necessitated its closure. During the school’s closure, the facility was used for public health offices.
The school was re-opened in September 1979, receiving its incorporation on 4 September and official opening ceremonies on 23 September 1979 attended by Manitoba Senator Dufferin Roblin, who hoisted the school’s flag. The school then consisted of eight classrooms upon and hosted grades K-4. The building was expanded in 1980 (two classrooms), 1981 (gymnasium), 1983 (two classrooms), 1999 (six classrooms), and additional capacity in 2004-2005. A high school component was added in 1987, and the school now hosts grades K-12.
Superiors / Principals
Photos & Coordinates
“Milky Way south for Fort Garry,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 October 1949, page 12.
“Officers are named by St. Vital CWL,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 April 1959, page 16.
“Sisters of Sion tea,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 December 1960, page 12.
“League slate named for Catholic Church,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 May 1961, page 13.
“School’s reopening to affect others,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 May 1979, page 3.
“St. Maurice sets spiritual course,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 September 1979, page 37.
“Roblin at school’s re-opening,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 1979, page 3.
“Report clears fired teachers,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 August 1990, page 3.
“St. Maurice School Inc.,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 August 1999, page C15.
“St. Maurice School Inc.,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 August 2002, page G9.
“St. Maurice School Inc.,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 April 2004, page 80.
“St. Maurice School Inc.” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 May 2006, page 104.
“St. Maurice School Inc.,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 February 2013, page H8.
St. Maurice School History [St. Maurice School]
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 26 June 2021