Historic Sites of Manitoba: Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church (Mountain Road, RM of Rosedale)
A monument in the Rural Municipality of Rosedale, dedicated on 24 July 2004, commemorates the first St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church, which stood here from 1904 to 1925. The first Ukrainian settlers to this region arrived in 1896. At first, they attended church services at Hun’s Valley (Polonia). In 1904, a committee was formed to build a log church at Mountain Road on land donated by Mati Baranuik. As the settlement grew, the church became too small and plans were formed for the construction of a larger, more elaborate church.
Between 1924 and 1925, with the supervision of Father Philip Ruh, a majestic wooden cathedral was built using free lumber and volunteer labour, at a total cost of $18,000. Shaped like a cross with a capacity for several hundred parishioners, 130 stained glass windows, and an interior painted with brightly-coloured murals, the building had no pews or electricity. Light was provided by hundreds of candles and parishioners stood during services.
On 19 August 1966, lightning struck the church and it burned to the ground. The present church was built to replace it, at a cost of $93,000. The first Mass took place on 11 March 1968.
Ukrainian Catholic Churches of Winnipeg Archeparchy by Anna Maria Kowcz-Baran, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 1991.
We thank Al Krukewich, Gloria Romaniuk, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 December 2018
Back to top of page