Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Mary St. Alban Anglican Church and Cemetery / Winram Memorial Church (Municipality of Pembina)

This impressive 28-foot by 44-foot stone church south of Manitou, near Kaleida in the Rural Municipality of Pembina, was designed by Winnipeg architect Charles Wheeler and built in 1892 at a cost of some $6,500, by local farmer W. H. Bowler and the construction firm of Kerr and Magee. It was named Winram Memorial Church in commemoration of W. J. Winram. The building is a municipally designated historic site.

Masonic dedication of the Winram Memorial Church

Masonic dedication of the Winram Memorial Church (3 August 1892)
Source: Ed Grassick

St. Mary St. Alban Anglican Church

St. Mary St. Alban Anglican Church (June 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

St. Mary St. Alban Anglican Church and Cemetery

St. Mary St. Alban Anglican Church and Cemetery (August 2018)
Source: George Penner

Interior of St. Mary St. Alban Anglican Church

Interior of St. Mary St. Alban Anglican Church (June 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of St. Mary St. Alban Anglican Church

Interior of St. Mary St. Alban Anglican Church (August 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.11762, W98.51469
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: William James Winram (1838-1891)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Co-operator Rural Buildings Series

Sources:

The Canadian Album: Men of Canada or Success by Example, Vol. III, Bradley, Garretson & Company, Brantford, Ontario, 1894.

Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Manitoba, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, 1892.

Holy Trinity Church, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, November 2007.

We thank Ed Grassick, Richard Turenne, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 November 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.