Historic Sites of Manitoba: Big Stone School / St. Lambert School No. 1889 (RM of Mountain)
Known as the Big Stone School District when it was organized formally in June 1917, at some point it was renamed St. Lambert School. A one-room schoolhouse operated at NW13-34-20W (about N51.93041 W100.17915) in the Rural Municipality of Mountain. In 1958, it was moved to the southeast part of NW24-34-20W, on the north side of highway 489. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Duck Mountain School Division. The concrete foundations for the schoolhouse and teacherage remain in the former schoolyard.
Among the teachers who worked at St. Lambert School was John Solomon (1958-1965).
School District Formation Files [St. Lambert School District No. 1889], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [John Solomon], Sneath-Strilchuk Funeral Services.
This page was prepared by Dennis Thompson and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 June 2016
Back to top of page