Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. John’s Ravenscourt School (400 South Drive, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

A large residence at 158 West Gate in Armstrong's Point of Winnipeg, built between 1883 and 1885 by A. G. B. Bannatyne, was owned as of 1899 by J. Stewart Tupper who named it Ravenscourt. Starting in 1929, the building hosted a private school for boys known as Ravenscourt School, under Headmaster Norman Young.

In 1935, the school moved to this site in the Fort Garry suburb of Winnipeg. When, in 1950, a board of Anglican churchmen decided that they did not wish to continue St. John’s College School, many of its alumni decided that they would take over its operation and held talks with Governors of Ravencourt. In that year. St. John’s joined with Ravenscourt to form St. John’s Ravenscourt School.

A plaque on the school grounds was erected to commemorate alumnus, businessman, and philanthropist George Maxwell “Max” Bell.

In September 2004, a field at the school was named in honour of John J. Fehr to commemorate his contributions to the school, both as an individual, and through Beaver Bus Lines. For many years, John, his family and his company supported the school in its daily activities, including transporting students to the campus. A plaque was unveiled at the site on 1 May 2008.

Headmasters (Ravenscourt School)




Norman Andrew Thomson Young (1901-1942)


Percy H. A. Wykes (?-?)


James Ogden Freeman Turner (1913-1998)

Headmasters / Principals (St. John’s Ravenscourt School)


Headmaster / Principal


James Ogden Freeman Turner (1913-1998)


Richard Lawrence [Laurence] “Dick” Gordon (1920-1979)


Thomas F. Bredin Acting


H. John P. Schaffter


John Messenger


Among the teachers of St. John’s-Ravenscourt School was John Barsby (1975-2004).

Photos & Coordinates

John Fehr Field plaque at St. John’s Ravenscourt School

John Fehr Field plaque at St. John’s Ravenscourt School (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg

George Maxwell Bell plaque at St. John’s Ravenscourt School

George Maxwell Bell plaque at St. John’s Ravenscourt School (October 2022)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84329, W97.12227
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

MHS Centennial Organization: St. John’s College School / Ravenscourt School / St. John’s Ravenscourt School

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Thomson House (400 South Drive, Winnipeg)

Memorable Manitobans: George Maxwell “Max” Bell (1912-1972)

Memorable Manitobans: John J. Fehr (1926-2007)


This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 30 March 2024

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!