Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. John’s Presbyterian Church (251 Bannerman Avenue, Winnipeg)
The present St. John’s Presbyterian Church is the third structure in the vicinity, the first having been erected in 1904 at the intersection of Charles Street and Cathedral Avenue. Construction of a second, more substantial building began in 1914 but was halted by the outbreak of the First World War. It was completed in 1923 but the congregation divided two years later when a majority agreed to join the Methodists and Congregationalists to form the United Church of Canada. Those congregants who opposed the union began meeting in rented facilities nearby and, in 1928, they erected this building at the north corner of Charles Street and Bannerman Avenue, just a block from their former church.
Available evidence suggests the architect for the building was Edgar Prain, Gilbert Parfitt, or possibly both men in collaboration. Built for $19,500 by Langford and Birch Limited, the structure combines elements of Tudor, Gothic Revival, and Craftsman styles. A church hall was added to the west in 1960-1961 and, in 1978, the exterior was re-stuccoed and the interior was renovated. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
St. John’s Presbyterian Church (251 Bannerman Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, March 1989.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 November 2019
Back to top of page