Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. John Cantius Roman Catholic Church (852 Burrows Avenue, Winnipeg)

This former Roman Catholic church on Burrows in Winnipeg was built in two phases. The basement was completed in 1918 and the superstructure designed by local architect George W. Northwood was finished seven years later by contractor J. A. Tremblay. The church served its congregation until 1971 when a new building was constructed immediately to the east. It remains in use as a church hall.

The former St. John Cantius Roman Catholic Church

The former St. John Cantius Roman Catholic Church (May 2015)
Source: George Penner

The former St. John Cantius Roman Catholic Church

The former St. John Cantius Roman Catholic Church (June 2017)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.92316, W97.15808
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: George William Northwood (1877-1959)

Sources:

St. John Cantius Roman Catholic Church, 852 Burrows Avenue by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2009.

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 8 March 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.