Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church and Cemetery (Dolyny, Municipality of Harrison Park)

This Ukrainian Catholic church and cemetery, a provincially-designated historic site, are situated in the Municipality of Harrison Park. Designed by Rev. Philip Ruh, the church was built between 1904 and 1907 by local farmers Ivan and Petro Koltusky on land donated by Mychaelo Bachewich. The building is one of the first churches of its kind in Manitoba in which the top dome is open to the interior, creating a large, bright space. The interior also features finely detailed wall stencils and a hand-carved iconostatis screen built by Zakharko Poloz and adorned with icons hand-painted by Jacob Maydanyk. Interior renovations in 1984 entailed the replacement of some of Maydankyk’s original decorations with those painted by Phyllis Haynes of Fisher Branch. Exterior renovations in 1986, overseen by Peter Prokopchuk of Sandy Lake, included the installation of new entrance doors. A plaque beside the church was erected in 1992 by the Manitoba Heritage Council. An adjacent parish hall also dates from 1907.

St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church

St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church

Interior of St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church (April 2017)
Source: George Penner

St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Parish Hall

St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Parish Hall (April 2017)
Source: George Penner

St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery

St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery (May 2015)
Source: George Penner

Site Location (lat/long): N50.60221, W100.43334
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.

Ukrainian Catholic Churches of Winnipeg Archeparchy by Anna Maria Kowcz-Baran, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 1991.

St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church, NW 2-19-22W, Dolyny District, L.G.D. of Park, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.

Page revised: 22 December 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.