Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Helen’s Anglican Church (Fairford, RM of Grahamdale)
In 1842, Anglican cleric Abraham Cowley arrived at Fairford (in what what is now the Rural Municipality of Grahamdale) to establish an Anglican Church to serve the local Aboriginal people. The present St. Helen’s Anglican Church, a municipally-designated historic site, dates from 1911. Restoration was done as part of the Manitoba Prairie Churches Project.
Adjacent to the church are a pair of stone monuments. One was erected in 1971 to commemorate Richard Woodhouse (1837-1902), who was first elected Chief of the Fairford Reserve on 3 August 1871, and his sons who succeeded him, Richard Woodhouse and William Woodhouse. The other monument was erected in November 1948 to commemorate local people who served during the Second World War.
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
St. Helen's Anglican Church, Fairford, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 July 2020
Back to top of page