Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Giles Presbyterian Church / Queen’s Theatre (239 Selkirk Avenue, Winnipeg)
This structure on Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg was originally designed by architect John W. Grieve and constructed in 1889 for the congregation of St. Giles Presbyterian Church. As the space needs of the church increased, a new site on Burrows Avenue was selected and this building was converted into a theatre between 1908 and 1909 on a design by architect Max Z. Blankstein. Damaged by fire in 1934, the Queen’s Theatre was renovated in an Art Deco style the following year. The theatre closed in the 1950s, later becoming a bingo hall and church meeting space.
Among the clerics who served at the Selkirk Avenue mission of St. Giles Presbyterian Church was David Bell Whimster (1885-1888).
The former St. Giles Presbyterian Church / Queen’s Theatre (June 2018)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.91243, W97.13442
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Giles Presbyterian Church (294 Burrows Avenue, Winnipeg)
Memorable Manitobans: Max Zev Blankstein (1873-1931)
St. Giles Presbyterian Church (Queen's Theatre), 239 Selkirk Avenue by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, December 2009.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 August 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.