Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Gerard Roman Catholic Church and Rectory (Bruxelles, Municipality of Lorne)
From 1892 to 1906, the church was situated in the southwest quarter of 32-5-11 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Lorne. From 1906 to 1918, it was replaced by a church at Bruxelles. Finally, in 1918, the present church was constructed at the same site as its predecessor.
A plaque commemorating the 100th anniversary of the St. Gerard Parish (1892-1992) was installed in recognition of Archbishop Tache of St. Boniface whose colonization efforts attracted homesteaders to this area of “La Montagne Pembina” prior to and following the establishment of Bruxelles in 1892. The Parish was so named because its first priest, Father Gustave Willems, came from the capital of Belgium and the settlers, who were mostly of Belgian origin, would be reminded of their homelead. The plaque also commemorates the 61 members of the Ursuline Order of nuns who served at Bruxelles from 1914 to 1989, providing education to local children. Their convent school was also home to students from across Manitoba.
The former church rectory next door, furnished in period decor, is used as a Bed & Breakfast.
Photos & Coordinates
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
We thank Louise Carels for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, George Penner, and Ed Grassick.
Page revised: 31 January 2021