Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 88
Manitoba
History

No. 88

Lieutenant Governor's History Award
Lieutenant
Governor's
History
Award

MHS Fundraising Dinner
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Stephenfield School No. 518 (Stephenfield, RM of Dufferin)

Stephenfield School District No. 518 was established formally in March 1887, in the northwest quarter of 18-6-6 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. It was named for local settler John Stevenson, on whose land the school was situated.

The first school building opened in 1889, being replaced in 1906 by a structure designed by Carman architect Edmund Watson, and located at NW19-6-6W. The school operated until November 1920 when it joined with Lusk School No. 2048 to become Stephenfield Consolidated School No. 2048 at NW20-6-6W. In 1948, high student enrollment necessitated the construction of a second room and the hiring of a second teacher. Grades 1 to 4 were held in one room, and grades 5 to 10 in the other. A closeable partition between the rooms could be opened to provide a larger space for community events.

The school closed in April 1961 and the district was dissolved that July. The building and site were used for school purposes by the Graysville School District until, in 1966, they were sold to local farmer Jacob Bergen, who moved the building to his farmyard (about N49.49445, W98.25508). As of 2013, the building was standing abandoned. A monument was dedicated at its former site during a reunion held on 4-5 August 1990.

Teachers of Stephenfield School

Teacher

Year(s)

Nellie B. Armson

1931-1935

Mrs. A. E. Baldwin

1924-1925

Evelena Bell

1889

Anne Evalin Black

1943-1944

Fern Bottrell

1956-1957

Lilian Bready

1913

Mrs. A. Brockman

1925-1926

Miss M. Bulstein

1941

Mrs. Cecil Mary Burton

1945-1946

Catherine M. Byrne

1944-1945

Beatrice Campbell

1906-1907

Susie Carrigan

1893

Elizabeth Closs

1912

Wilhelmine I. Cochran

1954-1956

Jean E. Coutts

1910

R. W. Cumming

1895

Grace Dunlop

1908

Thelma Ellerington

1938-1940

Olive G. Findlay

1930

Eleanor French

1918-1919

Maude H. Grant

1899-1900

Mrs. Ruby Gray

1960-1966

Cliff Gunn

1917-1918

Gertrude Hamblin

1919-1921

Miriam Helman

1916

Robert Hobbs

1957-1959

Ethel Johnson

1909

Cynthia Keith

1959-1960

Alex Klimchuk

1953-1954

Mabel Leslie

1909

Rita M. Lynch

1935-1938

Annette Marchand

1942-1943

Isabelle May

1915-1916

E. M. McFarlane

1898

Joan McIntosh

1960-1965

Dougald McIntyre

1906

Donald McLeod

1908

R. McNevin

1897

Archibald Alexander McPhail

1890-1892

Myrtle Munday

1949-1950

Anne Neufeld (Mrs. John A. Unrau)

1949-1953

Roland H. B. North

1908

Rosalie Orchard

1953-1954

Miss B. Oxley

1941-1942

Hazel L. Poyser

1940-1941

A. T. Purcell

1921-1923

Archie Purcell

1913-1914

James Refvik

1959-1960

V. Ross

1948-1949

Lillian Shackleton

1951-1953

G. W. Staples

1894

Margaret Bruce Stark

1911

Nellie Hamblin Stevenson

1927-1930, 1954-1957

Harry F. Tiessen

1965-1966

J. E. Tisdale

1894

Jenny M. Waldie

1896

Robert C. Warden

1901

Anne B. Wiens

1946-1949

Katherine I. Wuschenny

1957-1958

Miss E. York

1912

Edith A. Young

1905

Photos & Maps

Stephenfield School before addition of a second classroom

Stephenfield School before addition of a second classroom (no date) by A. J. Manning
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 84.

Some former Stephenfield School students and trustees during the unveiling of the school monument

Some former Stephenfield School students and trustees during the unveiling of the school monument (August 1990)
Source: Len Goldsborough

Stephenfield School commemorative monument

Stephenfield School commemorative monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

The former Stephenfield School building

The former Stephenfield School building (June 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of the former Stephenfield School building

Interior of the former Stephenfield School building (June 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.50081, W98.25037
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

“Stephenfield School District, No. 518 and No. 2048, 1889-1966,” Reunion and Dedication, August 4 & 5, 1990, unpublished pamphlet held by Gordon Goldsborough.

Roseisle School: 1892-1992, A Century of Service to the Community, compiled by Ina Leary Bramadat, 2006.

Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.

We thank Joan Hodgson Goldsborough for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 October 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.