St. Elias Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the Rural Municipality of Stuartburn was constructed of logs, beginning in 1908, under the direction of Dmytro Waskul and the interior was constructed in 1910 by Wasyl Cheredaryk. One of the best examples of the Bukovynian architectural style in Canada, the church can hold only about 30 standing adults. Its original iconostasis is covered with pre-revolutionary Russian lithographs. The site also contains a cemetery and a log bell tower of traditional design and construction. A new church and bell tower were constructed nearby in 1950. There is a cemetery near the church. A plaque by the church was erected by the Manitoba Heritage Council.
St. Elias Ukrainian Orthodox Church (August 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Interior of the St. Elias Ukrainian Orthodox Church (February 2016)
Source: George Penner
St. Elias Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery (June 2011)
Source: Tim Worth
Site Location (lat/long): N49.01524, W96.24899
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Elias Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Bell Tower, and Cemetery (Sirko, RM of Stuartburn)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites
St. Elias Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Bell Tower, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Tim Worth, Gordon Goldsborough, Sterling Demchinsky, and George Penner.
Page revised: 11 August 2018
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.