Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ste. Amelie School No. 1222 (Municipality of Ste. Rose)
The Ste. Amelie School District was organized formally in February 1903 and, as of 1908, a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE29-23-14W (about N51.02187, W99.39579) in what is now the Municipality of Ste. Rose. In 1949, the school was destroyed by fire and a replacement building opened the following year. It closed in 1960, was moved to its present site, and was renovated into a garage.
Among the teachers of Ste. Amelie School were Elizabeth Jourdain (1938) and Cecile M. Bonin (1938).
Valpoy West topographic map, 62O/3 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Rosemarie Péloquin for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 February 2021