Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Catherine’s Anglican Church (3202 Birds Hill Road, RM of East St. Paul)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Established in 1889 by Rev. Canon Samuel Pritchard Matheson, services were initially conducted at Bird’s Hill School as a mission church of St. Paul’s Anglican Church at Middlechurch. This site was donated by Mrs. J. Chudleigh in the spring of 1914, with Edwin A. Hoddinott and H. T. Agar taking lead roles in raising funds to erect a church building. The cornerstone was laid on 30 July 1914 by officers from the Grand Lodge of Manitoba AF & AM, under the leadership of L. S. Vaughan. The church was opened officially on 1 November 1914 by diocesan general missionary Rev. W. H. Thomas and later consecrated by Archbishop Matheson on 22 June 1919. The site was expanded in 1960 (Parish Hall) and 1987. The church closed around 2010 with the facility now serving as Sky’s The Limit Montessori School.

Clerics

Period

Principal

?-?

Rev. Silva White

?-?

Robert Cuthbert Johnstone (1857-1934)

?-?

Rev. H. W. Baldock

?-?

Rev. F. C. H. Wild

?-?

Rev. R. L. Taylor

?-?

Rev. T. D. Conlin

?-1950

Rev. F. W. Goodeve

1950-c2010

?

Photos & Maps

St. Catherine's Anglican Church

St. Catherine’s Anglican Church (March 2015)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.97627, W97.00576
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Selkirk social events [St. Catherine’s Church],” Manitoba Free Press Summer Resorts, 8 August 1914, page 3.

“Birds Hill church opens,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 October 1914, page 5.

“Congregation comes of age at Bird’s Hill,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 November 1935, page 27.

“Celebration at St. Catherines,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 November 1939, page 21.

“St. Catherine’s marks birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 November 1943, page 13.

“Soldiers’ Memorial held at Bird’s Hill,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 June 1949, page 19.

“St. Catherine’s anniversary,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 November 1949, page 8.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 26 April 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.