Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church / St. Andrew’s United Church (La Riviere, Municipality of Pembina)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

This church in th village of La Riviere, in the Municipality of Pembina, was constructed in 1887. Until 1897, services were overseen by clerics from nearby Pilot Mound. A final service was held on 24 May 2015 after which the church was closed and the building was sold to another religious congregation. In late 2015, a commemorative plaque was installed next to the building.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

1887-1897

James Farquharson (1847-1925)

1897-1898

George Tattree

1900-1904

J. O. Hobman

1904-1905

F. Forrester

1906-1907

Andrew Hood

1908-1910

Daniel “Dan” McIvor (1871-1965)

1910-1917

J. C. Stewart

1917-1919

Edward Lee

1919-1922

L. E. Berry

1922-1926

J. F. Douglas

1926-1928

Rev. Wainwright

1926-1937

E. T. Hamilton

1937-1949

John Jackson

1949-1952

Ralph Clark

1952-1955

C. Hockin

1955-1958

Mark Parson

1958-1959

Earl McIntyre

1959-1963

Geoffrey Lester

1963-1967

Axel Rekken

1967

Gary Raymond Scherbain (1942-2021)

1967-1973

Gerald Buhr

1973-1975

Fern Bradley

1975-1985

Glenn Tindale

1985-1990

Kerry Craig

1990-1991

Bill Fulford

1991-1995

Georgina Loucks

1995-2014

Laurie Simpson
Beverly Simpson

1999-2000

Bev Diduck (student intern)

Photos & Coordinates

St. Andrew's United Church

St. Andrew’s United Church (May 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of St. Andrew’s United Church

Interior of St. Andrew’s United Church (May 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

St. Andrew’s United Church commemorative plaque

St. Andrew’s United Church commemorative plaque (November 2015)
Source: Chris Thompson

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.23817, W98.68202
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Turning Leaves - A History of La Riviere and District by La Riviere Historical Society, 1979.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Chris Thompson.

Page revised: 9 January 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.