The St. Andrew’s Rectory, in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews, built in 1854 by stonemason Duncan McRae, is an excellent example of mid-19th century Red River architecture. Exhibits on the main floor of the rectory interpret Red River architecture, and the roles of the Church Missionary Society and the Church of England in the settlement of the Red River and Western Canada. A plaque on the site was erected in 1962 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Early Red River Homes by Lillian Gibbons
MHS Transactions, Series 3, 1945-46 Season
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Andrew’s-on-the-Red Anglican Church (RM of St. Andrews)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
We thank Tim Worth, Desiree Rolfe, Rose Kuzina, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 December 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.