Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Andrew’s Anglican Church / Old English Church (602 River Avenue, Hartney, Municipality of Grassland)

Built as St. Andrew’s Anglican by community members in Hartney between 1893 and 1894, this small jewel of a church is an outstanding example of traditional English architecture adapted for a rural prairie parish. Its dominant features include a steeply-pitched gable roof along its rectangular mass, with walls of local buff brick that feature prominent buttresses along the sides, and a chancel that was added in 1907. Eight pointed Gothic windows, set with coloured glass light the interior, while a large stained glass window formerly behind the altar has been re-located to the town museum. The original artistic wooden furnishings, pews and organ all remain beneath the exposed wood trusses of the dramatic interior. While the church served the community of this small agricultural town for decades, it closed in the 1970s but is revitalized with a new faith community as The Old English Church and is being lovingly restored. It is a municipally-designated historic site.

Old English Church / St. Andrew’s Anglican Church

Old English Church / St. Andrew’s Anglican Church (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Old English Church / St. Andrew’s Anglican Church

Old English Church / St. Andrew’s Anglican Church (July 2018)
Source: George Penner

Interior of Old English Church / St. Andrew’s Anglican Church

Interior of Old English Church / St. Andrew’s Anglican Church (July 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Location (lat/long): N49.48329, W100.52568
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

Old English Church, 602 River Avenue, Hartney, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.

This page was prepared by Sheila Grover, Gordon Goldsborough, and George Penner.

Page revised: 9 July 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.