Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Springbank School No. 104 (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)

The Springbank School District was formally organized in November 1880, named for a natural spring located nearby, and a school house was constructed on the southwest corner of 16-1-4 east of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin. Student enrollment through the years ranged from a low of 16 (in 1888) to a high of 41 (in 1900). With the school consolidation movement of the 1950s and 1960s, the school trustees decided to join with Ridgeville School No. 102 and Emerado School No. 1237 in forming Ridgeville Consolidated School No. 2359 in the nearby community of Ridgeville, and the last class was held at this site in 1958. A monument at the former school site was erected on 5 July 1980 to commemorate the pioneers who farmed this area and provided a school for the education of their children.

Among the teachers who worked at Springbank School were Dorothy Rose Fry (1917-1918), E. W. French (1919-1920), Myrtle V. McArthur (1925-1926), Florence McLachlan (1930-1931), Garnet Milton Morrison (1937-1938), Gwendoline Mary “Gwen” Buchanan (1938), Jessie Evelyn Wiechman (1939-1940), Jennie Elizabeth Graham (1940-1941), Lyall M. Robertson (1942-1945), Katie Friesen (1945-1946), Fern Banting (1946-1947), William Walter Puyda (1947-1950), Emily Inkster (1950), Viola Reimer (1951), Tina Penner (1951-1952), Jean Kubas (1952-1954), Christine Yaremko (1954-1955), Helen M. Kozachenko (1955-1956), John W. Cesmystruk (1956-1957), and Yvonne Copeland (1957-1958).

Springbank School monument

Springbank School monument (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.03018, W97.00477
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

“700 attend old school reunion,” Steinbach Carillon, 12 July 1972, page 31.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Springbank No. 104 Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 16 May 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.