Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Polsen School No. 1523 (RM of Rockwood)
The South Polsen School District was established in February 1910 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE33-17-1E in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. The former school building burned down.
Among the teachers of South Polsen School were Aniceta C. Blancas (1965-1966) and Vera Heykin Shupenia (1966-1967).
Gimli West topographic map, 62I/11 West, Edition 2 ASE, 1958, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Interlake Beckoned: A History of Inwood and Surrounding Districts by Inwood History Book Committee, 1980. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.I59 Int]
Manitoba School Records Collection, Polsen School District #1523 - Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 March 2017
Back to top of page