Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Bay School No. 1144 (RM of Mossey River)
The South Bay School District was organized formally in July 1901 but a building was not erected until 1916, on SW26-31-19 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River. The original school building was destroyed by fire in 1928 and was replaced the following year. This building still stands at the site.
In addition to serving the educational needs of the community, the school was used for concerts, church services, picnics, dances, 4H meetings, and political rallies. The district joined the Duck Mountain School Division in 1967 and South Bay School was closed. The building was purchased at auction by local residents and became the South Bay Community Centre. In 1996, it became a municipally-designated historic site and a commemorative sign was mounted on an outside wall of the building.
Over the course of its 50 years of operation, South Bay School had 35 teachers, 23 trustees, three secretary-treasurers, and over 300 students. One of the noteworthy students was Nick Mudery who later served as a board member for over 30 years and was known for “his knowledge, integrity, and generous spirit”.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
South Bay School, Winnipegosis area, SW 26-31-19W, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 September 2019
Back to top of page