A monument in Churchill was erected in 1967 by the Churchill Ladies Club to commemorate a Chipewyan woman named Thanadelthur (also known as Slave Woman) who, in 1716, brokered peace between her people and Crees that made possible to establishment of a fur trading post in 1717.
Slave Woman Monument / Thanadelthur Monument (July 2018)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N58.77362, W94.17871
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Thanadelthur (1697-1717)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cape Merry / Fort Churchill (Churchill)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by Manitoba Heritage Grant 18F-H49829.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 February 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!