Historic Sites of Manitoba: Silvester-Willson Building (222 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg)
This Winnipeg building was designed by local architect J. H. G. Russell and built in 1904 for the Willson Stationery Company Limited, a partnership of Harvey Lee Willson and Elkhorn lumber merchant Geoffrey Silvester. Opened in early December 1904, the founding partnership occupied the basement and main floor and rented out the upper floors to professionals and clubs. Willson Stationery later expanded to three full floors. It became a municipally-designated historic building in 2018.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 106W The Willson Stationery Company Limited, Archives of Manitoba.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Bulman Bros.” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 November 1904, page 17.
“Mammoth new mercantile blocks,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 November 1904, page 18.
“The Royal Templars of Aurora Council,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 May 1906, page 12.
“Willson Stationers and Envelopes Limited,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 July 1929, page 21.
“Willson Stationery names executives,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 January 1941, page 14.
Page revised: 15 July 2019
Back to top of page