Historic Sites of Manitoba: Shellmouth School No. 292 (Shellmouth, RM of Riding Mountain West)
In 1883, the Shellmouth School District was organized formally at Shellmouth in what is now the Rural Municipality of Riding Mountain West. The first classes were held in tents during warm weather and in local homes during the cold weather. A school building was erected in 1884. It was replaced in 1910 by a two-storey structure built of locally manufactured concrete blocks. In 1912, it was consolidated with Emerald School No. 1578 to form Shellmouth Consolidated School No. 292.
The school was destroyed by fire on 20 December 1919 but classes continued in the local hall. In 1921, a three-classrom school was built. It closed permanently in 1968. The building is now used as a community hall and a nearby monument, erected in September 1987, commemorates the former school.
Among the teachers other who worked at Shellmouth School were Belle McTavish (1907), Angus Lorne Bonnycastle, and Ellen Elizabeth Wherrett.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Audrey & Duncan Waddell for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 November 2020