The building at 56 Balmoral Street was originally 26 Balmoral Place (the street’s name changed in the late 1950s) when it was constructed in 1906, by contractor D. J. Ross, at a cost of $6,500. Its first occupant was businessman Henry E. Sharpe. Subsequent owners included Angus D. Robertson of the Robertson-Adams Lumber Company (to the late 1910s), Dr. H. J. Meikley (to 1922), and Dr. William Leggette (to 1938). The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Sharpe House (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88350, W97.15319
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Henry E. Sharpe House (56 Balmoral Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, January 1990.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 January 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!