Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hudson’s Bay Company Store / Seven Sisters Post Office / Seven Sisters Falls School No. 2218 (Seven Sisters Falls, RM of Whitemouth)
This building at Seven Sisters Falls in the Rural Municipality of Whitemouth housed a Hudson's Bay Company store with living quarters, two-classroom school, post office, company office, and library.
The Seven Sisters Falls School District was established in May 1930, owned and operated by the Winnipeg Electric Company, and later the Manitoba Power Commission and Manitoba Hydro for the children of workers at the Seven Sisters Hydroelectric Generating Station nearby. The school closed in 1967 and, the following year, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Agassiz School Division.
The building is used as a training and conference centre by Manitoba Hydro.
Among the teachers who worked at Seven Sisters Falls School through the years were James Dark (1930), William R. Lee (1933), Gordon Jorgenson (1940), and Gertude G. Cousins (1945-1967).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails to Rails to Highways edited by Bob Porth and Craig MacKenzie, Whitemouth Municipal Museum Society, 1979.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Robert Porth, George Penner, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 December 2022