Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Selkirk Dry Dock (Red River, Selkirk)

Built originally in 1915, this dry dock facility at Selkirk was rebuilt in 1961 after it collapsed. The capacity of the vessels that it could accommodate was reduced from 1,000 to 700 tons, due to the smaller size of ships now operating on the adjacent Red River and Lake Winnipeg. The facility is owned by the Peguis First Nation.

Paddle Wheel Princess at the Selkirk Dry Dock

Paddle Wheel Princess at the Selkirk Dry Dock (September 1988)
Source: George Penner

Selkirk Dry Dock

Selkirk Dry Dock (August 2019)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.14557, W96.86466
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Heritage Treasures of Red River North, Red River North Heritage.

This page was prepared by George Penner.

Page revised: 17 May 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.