Historic Sites of Manitoba: Seech School No. 1454 (Municipality of Harrison Park)
The Seech School District was organized formally in April 1908, and a school building operated on the southeast quarter of 11-20-22 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. The school closed in 1960. The building was later moved to the Prairie Mountain Regional Museum. A monument at the original site commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Seech School were Michael Belinsky (1910), Alex Klymkiw (1911), N. Halas (1914), Andrew Siwicky (1915-1920), J. M. Panisiak (1920-1921), M. Saranchuk (1921), S. Doroschuk (1921-1922), L. P. Roscoe (1922-1924), J. M. Hawryluk (1924), M. A. Zubrak (1924-1926), M. J. Twerdun (1926-1929), W. Yarmey (1926-1928), Mary Nychek (1929-1931), W. R. Cornat (1931-1932), Joe Hallas (1932-1938), Michael Posmituck (1938-1940), Isabel Duffy (1940-1941), Mary Melnychuk (1941-1942), Helen J. Antonation (1942-1944), Margaret S. Gregorash (1944-1945), Helen Chobotiuk (1945-1946), Peter Galan (1945-1946), Alice Hrysak (1946-1947), Kate Twerdun (1947-1949), Jean E. Dziver (1949-1950), Stanley Plewak (1949-1950), Joseph Kustiak (1950-1951), and Louis Kurchaba (1951-1960).
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Ripples On The Lake: A History of Shoal Lake Municipality, 1884-1984 by Shoal Lake History Book Committee, 1984.
From the Past to the Present, 1898-1987 by Parkland Ukrainian Pioneer Association, circa 1988. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, Rare Book Collection F5648.P36 Fro]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 February 2018
Back to top of page