Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scotch Bay School No. 1043 (Municipality of West Interlake)
The Scotch Bay School District was established in January 1900 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW23-21-7W in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. Only remnants of the concrete foundation for the former school building remained during a 2014 site visit.
Among the teachers at Scotch Bay School were Joseph K. Lamb (c1916), E. Lloyd Bowler (Fall 1921), Muriel D. Andrew (Spring 1922), Winifred Martin (Fall 1924), Marguerite Shortreed (Spring 1925, daughter of George D. Shortreed), Dorothy Mary Jane Murray (1940-1941), Edith Mary Penny (1942-1943), Verna May Allen (1946-1947, daughter of Mabel E. Allen), and Leslie B. “Les” Ewacha (1963-1964).
Eriksdale West topographic map, 62J/16 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Scotch Bay School District No. 1043 - Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 April 2020
Back to top of page