The Scandinavia School District was organized formally in December 1888 and it operated a school building at NE6-18-17W in what is now the Municipality of Clanwilliam-Erickson. The school closed in 1960 and the district was dissolved in 1968. The former school building was moved to Erickson and destroyed by an arson fire on 12 June 1965. A commemorative marker and the concrete foundation of the school remain at the original site.
Among the teachers of Scandinavia School were Duncan Matheson, James Hamilton, James Craig, Walter Carrall, John Veale, Eben McKenzie, James McGillivary, A. K. Cameron, E. J. Brown, W. Huskins, Edith Johnson, James Bloomer, John Simpson, H. Donaldson, Elizabeth O'Hara, Irene Johnson, Mrs. K. Horwood, C. A. Wiebe, Doris Bell, Evelyn Obedniak, Angeline Hoyak, John H. Donaldson, Hazel Donaldson, Mabel Christopherson (1919), Barbara Weiman, Miss Centure, Mrs. Swanton, Dorothy Carter, Mrs. Helen Hunt, Elvera Magnell, Dorothy Miller, Edna Larson, Lorraine Baker, Phyllis Skoglund, A. S. Thorlakson, P. Black, Constance DeRinzy, John Vanderpant, Hennie Neilson, Helen Sage, Mary Cameron, C. W. Johnson, Kathleen Carter, R. D. Burgess, Cecelia Johnson, Mrs. Hodgson, Leila Montgomery, John Haywood, Florence Peterson, John Arnsten, Belle Cameron, M. Walton, Ethel Jury, Bertha Danielson, Arthur Neilson, Phyllis Klink, Isabel Strand, Eileen Carlson, Keith Worden, Roxanne Robinson, Jennie Gray, Mary Thoren, Theresa Belle Found (1967), and William Ernest Walker (1968).
Teacher and students of Scandinavia School (no date)
Source: Lisa Hislop
Concrete foundation for the former Scandinavia School building (August 2017)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Scandinavia School commemorative monument (August 2017)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.51427, W99.80430
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scandinavia School No. 567 (Erickson, Municipality of Clanwilliam-Erickson)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Forest to Field: Centennial History of Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam and Village of Erickson, Manitoba, Canada by Clanwilliam History Book Committee, 1984, pages 125-127.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Scandinavia School No. 567 Daily Registers, GR2063, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Lisa Hislop for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 28 September 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!