Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sandilands School No. 2238 (RM of Piney)

The Sandilands School District was established in August 1933 and operated a school operated near the northeast corner at NW22-4-9 East in what would later be the Rural Municipality of Piney. Around September 1942, the school was relocated to NE22-4-9 East. In September 1955, a new school was given consideration, and the following month the provincial government was pressed to allocate forestry reserve land at the southwest corner of SE27-4-9 East for a new school site. In December of the same year, $4000 was borrowed to build a new building upon the recently allocated property. The original school was retained by the district and utilized for community social events. In April 1967, the district became part of the Seine River School Division and the school closed that summer.

Among the teachers at Sandilands School were Bibiane Lemoine (1933-1936), Marie-Josephe Gagne (1936-1937), Juliette Dorge (1937-1939), Leontine Grouette (1939-1940), Germaine Baccaert (1940-1941, wife of Paul P. Baccaert), ? (1941-1959), Lawrence Pachniosky (1959-1960), Marilyn Skromeda (1960-1961), Mr. Leslie Ewacha (1961-1962), Gerard Bernacki (1962-1963), ? Prociuk (1963-1964), Gary John Gutoski (1964-1965), and Paul Monastyrski (1965-1966).

Sandilands School No. 2238

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.32577, W96.29484
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Marchand West topographic map, 62H/8 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Sandilands School District No. 2238, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Sandilands School District No. 2238 - Miscellaneous, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Sandilands School District No. 2238 - Minute Book, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

Trustee records regarding geographically remote schools directly administered by Department (E 0166), File 2238 - Financial Statements - Sandilands, GR1206, Archives of Manitoba.

Trustee records regarding geographically remote schools directly administered by Department (E 0166), File 2238 - Sandilands - Permanent, GR1206, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 2 November 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.