Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Safeway Store No. 529 (222 St. Mary's Road, Winnipeg)

This one-storey brick building on St. Mary’s Road in Winnipeg was constructed in 1932 as a grocery store for Safeway Stores. The building was in use as a martial arts studio at the time of a 2020 site visit.

Former Safeway store on St. Mary’s Road in Winnipeg

Former Safeway store on St. Mary’s Road in Winnipeg (April 2020)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87518, W97.11835
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited

Sources:

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.