Historic Sites of Manitoba: Safeway Store No. 521 (1 St. Anne’s Road, Winnipeg)
This one-storey brick building on St. Anne’s Road in Winnipeg, measuring 32 feet by 80 feet, was designed by the architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers. It was constructed as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited and opened officially on 21 December 1929.
The building, with a relatively unmodified exterior from its original appearance, was in use as a wellness centre at the time of a 2020 site visit.
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
“News of the suburbs,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 November 1929, page 29.
[advertisement], Winnipeg Tribune, 19 December 1929, page 4.
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 16 December 2022