This one-storey brick building at the northeast corner of Saskatchewan Avenue West and First Street Northwest in Portage la Prairie, measuring 32 feet by 80 feet, was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers and built between late 1929 and early 1930 by the construction firm of Brown and Barker at a cost of about $15,000. Originally a grocery store for Safeway Stores, it opened officially on 17 January 1930.
The store closed in the 1950s when Safeway built a new store on Royal Road North. At the time of a 2022 site visit, the building had been extensively renovated from its original appearance so as to be almost unrecognizable today.
Former Safeway store at Portage la Prairie (June 2022)
Source: Jordan Makichuk
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.97335, W98.29224
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Northwood and Chivers / Northwood Chivers and Casey
Manitoba Business: Brown and Barker
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
“Big contracts are awarded to local firms,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 October 1929, page 8.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk.
Page revised: 10 February 2024
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!