This one-storey brick building on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 32 feet by 80 feet, was constructed by W. A. Irish and Company as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited. It was opened officially on 23 November 1929. The building was in use as a pet supplies store at the time of a 2020 site visit. Its storefront is extensively modified from the original appearance although the side facing Valour Road preserves some early elements.
Former Safeway store on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg (April 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88270, W97.18934
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: W. A. Irish and Company
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 4515/1929, City of Winnipeg Archives.
[Advertisement], Winnipeg Tribune, 22 November 1929, page 4.
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Nathan Kramer, and George Penner.
Page revised: 4 September 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.