Historic Sites of Manitoba: Safeway Store No. 515 (1849 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
This one-storey brick building on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 32 feet by 80 feet, was designed by the architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers. It was constructed in 1929. Opened officially on 16 November 1929, it was one of the first nine stores built in the city for Safeway Stores Limited.
The building was in use as a restaurant at the time of a 2020 site visit. Its exterior is relatively unmodified from the original appearance.
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
[advertisement], Winnipeg Tribune, 15 November 1929, page 6.
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 16 December 2022