Historic Sites of Manitoba: Safeway Store No. 504 (535 Osborne Street, Winnipeg)
This one-storey brick building on Osborne Street in Winnipeg was constructed in 1929 as a grocery store for Safeway Stores Limited. The building was occupied by a pair of restaurants at the time of a 2020 site visit. Its exterior is relatively unmodified from its original appearance.
Former Safeway store on Osborne Street in Winnipeg (January 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.86531, W97.13477
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
“2-day opening,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 October 1929, page 6.
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 April 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.