This one-storey brick building on Main Street South in Minnedosa, measuring 32 feet by 80 feet, was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers. It was constructed in 1929 as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited.
It was later used by another grocery store chain into the 1970s. At the time of a 2019 site visit, the building, with a relatively unmodified exterior from its original appearance, had been occupied for several years by an electronics manufacturing company.
Former Safeway store in Minnedosa (February 2020)
Source: George Penner
Former Safeway store in Minnedosa (June 2023)
Source: Jordan Makichuk
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.24813, W99.83894
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Northwood and Chivers / Northwood Chivers and Casey
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
Minnedosa and Her Neighbors by George A. Harland, page 35.
We thank Miles McPherson and Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 July 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!